Human foods your dog shouldn’t have

Anyone with a dog will be use to the puppy dog eyes looking up at you as you take a bite of your sandwich or remove a biscuit from the biscuit barrel. As a nation we love to spoil our pets but there are somethings that we really shouldn’t feed our beloved pooches. Even if your pooch has eaten these foods in the past they could be causing serious issues that your not aware of so for your pooches health its best that they don’t have them again.

Alcohol

Alcohol is very toxic to dogs. Exposure to seemingly harmless amounts can cause death of a pet.

pouring alcohol into a pets water bowl isn’t the only way in which your dog can be exposed to alcohol drinking or licking up cooking products that contain alcohol, personal hygiene products such as mouthwash or perfume, cleaning products – or by getting into alcohol-containing cough syrups.

Dogs can get alcohol toxicity by ingesting fermented foods if they eat enough of them.

   

As with humans when a dog is exposed to alcohol it can cause depression of the central nervous system. its effects are similar to those that affect humans drowsiness, loss of coordination,depress the central nervous system resulting in a slowed down heart rate and breathing with the bodies core temperature dropping too. Alcohol can also affect the blood chemistry of a dog which can lead to a very dangerous condition called metabolic acidosis – this is when the blood becomes to acidic without treatment death will soon follow usually because of a cardiac arrest.if your dog is lucky enough not to pass away from the affects of alcohol poisoning the can still suffer lasting damage to their kidneys and liver, reducing quality of life over time.

Chocolate, Coffee and Caffine

It is very well documented that the theobromine in chocolate isn’t harmful to humans, but it is very toxic to dogs. It’s found in all chocolate, but especially in dark and baking chocolate. consuming theobromine can cause a dog to have severe sickness and diarrhoea a raging thirst extreme side affects can also occur and these can include abnormal heart rhythms, seizures, tremors, or even death. If your dog does manage to get chocolate from somewhere please insure you contact a vet immediately.

Citrus

Every part of a citrus plant contains contains some amount of citric acid, A lot of us use essential oils in burners, neat or in sprays these oils can cause irritation and could even result in central nervous system depression if ingested in significant amounts. Small doses, such as eating the fruit, are not likely to present problems beyond minor stomach upset

Coconut and Coconut Oil
When ingested in small amounts, coconut and coconut-based products are not likely to cause serious harm to your pet. The flesh and milk of fresh coconuts do contain oils that may cause upset stomach’s, loose stools or diarrhoea. Coconut water is high in potassium and should not be given to your pet.

Grapes and Raisins

These small harmless looking fruits can cause kidney failure and a painful death to your pet.

Macadamia Nuts and Nuts
Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors and hypothermia. Signs usually appear within 12 hours of ingestion and can last approximately 12 to 48 hours. veterinary advice should be sought. Nuts contain high amounts of oils and fats. The fats can cause vomiting and diarrhoea, and potentially pancreatitis in dog

Milk and Dairy
Dogs do not possess significant amounts of lactase (the enzyme that breaks down lactose in milk), milk and other dairy-based products can cause them diarrhoea or other digestive upset.

Onions, Garlic, Chives
These vegetables and herbs can cause gastrointestinal irritation and could lead to red blood cell damage. Toxicity is normally diagnosed through history, clinical signs and microscopic confirmation.

Raw/Under cooked Meat, Eggs and Bones
Raw meat and raw eggs can contain bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli that can be harmful to dogs. Raw eggs contain an enzyme called avidin that decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin), which can lead to skin and coat problems. Feeding your dog  raw bones may seem like a natural and healthy option that might occur if your dog lived in the wild. However, this can be very dangerous for a domestic pet, who might choke on bones, or sustain a grave injury should the bone splinter and become lodged in or puncture your pet’s digestive tract.

Salt and Salty Snack Foods
Large amounts of salt can produce excessive thirst and urination, or even sodium ion poisoning in pets. Signs that your pet may have eaten too many salty foods include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, elevated body temperature, seizures and even death.

Xylitol
Xylitol is used as a sweetener in many products, including chewing gum, sweets, baked goods and toothpaste. It can cause insulin release in most species, which can lead to liver failure. The increase in insulin leads to hypoglycemia (lowered sugar levels). Initial signs of toxicosis include vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination. Signs can progress to seizures. Elevated liver enzymes and liver failure can be seen within a few days.

Yeast Dough
Yeast dough can rise and cause gas to accumulate in your pet’s digestive system. This can be painful and can cause the stomach to bloat, and potentially twist, becoming a life threatening emergency. The yeast produce ethanol as a by-product and a dog ingesting raw bread dough can become drunk.

 

Immediate care

If you suspect your dog has eaten something he shouldn’t try to determine how much she may have eaten and contact your vet for specific advice. In many cases small quantities may not cause a problem but larger quantities may require treatment.

Prevention

The best prevention is simply to keep your food out of reach of your dog. If you choose to give your dog human food, please follow these guidelines:

  • The food should only be considered a treat and only given on the odd occasion to prevent gastrointestinal upset and nutritional imbalances
Treatment

Treatment is generally supportive until the symptoms resolve. This may involve hospitalisation, intravenous fluids (a drip) and blood tests to monitor organ function.

 

DISCLAIMER: I am not a vet and any signs or symptoms that your pet is ill you should always consult your local vet.